Oil light is a very important indicator that is mostly featured in most newer car models. Every vehicle model has its own process when it comes to resetting the oil light. However, the general procedure is usually similar for most cars.
When it comes to manually reset the oil light for any Honda model, it is important to consult the owner’s manual for the instructions. The first step is to turn the car’s system on, but not switch on the engine.
This is followed by locating the Reset button and pressing it until it displays ‘Engine oil Life’. When this is displayed, keep pressing the button for more than 10 seconds until the indicator light starts blinking. The goal is to set the percentage back to 100%.
This article gives a step-wise procedure of how you can reset the oil light of your Honda Accord and answers other related questions.
How to Reset Oil Maintenance Light on Honda Accord 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012, and so on.
Honda models are equipped with a maintenance minder system with a light indicator that tends to go on when you have not changed the oil or filter in your vehicle. Often, authorized Honda dealers will reset the maintenance minder system automatically during routine servicing.
However, if you happen to change the oil yourself, or had the service done someplace else, you might have to learn how to manually reset the oil light.
Changing the oil on your Honda Accord as scheduled is important to keep it running smoothly. However, if the light is on, you might have some problems. Thankfully, resetting it is only a matter of a few steps.
This process applies to all newer Honda models from 2007.
Turn the Ignition to Switch to On
- The first step is to turn the key on the ignition to the first position. Ensure you do not put your foot on the brake or start the engine. For models with the push start button, push it once.
Locate the Reset Button
- Locate the Select/reset button usually on the steering wheel or a knob on the dash. Press this button, or, depending on the model, you might have to scroll through by pressing the knob repeatedly to the ‘Engine Oil Life’ or ‘Engine Oil Indicator %’ displayed.
Press the Button for a Few More Seconds
- Once displayed, you are to release the button and then press it again and hold it for no less than 10 seconds. This causes the Engine oil indicator light to start blinking.
Select Reset Mode on the Info Button
- If the display shows ‘Engine oil life’, press the Info button located on the steering wheel to select the Reset mode. Afterward, press the Reset/select button to return the life to 100% and the maintenance light disappears.
- On the other hand, if the display shows ‘Engine oil indicator %’, press and holds the Reset/select knob for more than 5 seconds. The % indicator will turn to 100%.
Let Go of the Button
- Once that is done, release the button and then completely turn off the car. You can double-check to see if the process was successful by turning on the car. If unsuccessful, completely turn the car off and start the process all over again. You can also opt to take it to a dealership.
How Often Should I Change the Coolant on Honda Accord?
Generally, it is advisable to have your coolant flush done every two years or 30,000 miles, depending on which comes first. However, there are some instances where the vehicle can go for a longer period of time without the flush.
In line with that, you should have your fluid levels checked and inspected for any debris that could potentially harm the engine. The recommended time is after every 15,000 miles so you are sure to catch any issues before serious damage to your vehicle.
Can You Reset the Oil Change Light Without Changing the Oil?
Yes, it is possible to reset the oil light without first changing the oil. However, the light is there for a reason—usually to remind you of your vehicle’s scheduled maintenance. Resetting it before an actual oil change poses a risk of damage to your car.
This is because you are likely to miss a change leading to engine damage. The process of manually resetting the oil change light is as described above.
What Happens if You Don’t Reset the Oil Light?
The maintenance light on your dashboard can be annoying if it goes on for too long. If you do not reset it, you will have to deal with it until you get your oil changed, and it is reset by the mechanic.
Also, it is important that you have the oil changed regularly, otherwise, the engine will be damaged and cost you more money in the long run. Moreover, dirty and dark oil does not allow the smooth running of the engine.
How Long Does It Take for the Oil Light to Reset?
Resetting the oil light does not take more than a few minutes. The process is as outlined above and you will have the light reset in no time. However, if the process is unsuccessful, you will have to repeat the entire process.
At What Oil Life Percentage Should You Change Your Oil Honda?
The recommended oil life percentage to change the oil in your Honda Accord is 15%. This is also the percentage that triggers the oil light to illuminate your dashboard. The light indicates that a service is due. This should prompt the driver to change the oil soon. Once you add fresh engine oil, the percentage is reset to 100%.
The Honda maintenance minder system is an important reminder to drivers of the scheduled service for their vehicles. Therefore, the oil change light should be taken with due importance. However, it is still possible to manually reset the oil light on your Honda Accord when the situations call for it.