Hyundai manufacturers have successfully enhanced the audio capabilities of their newer models starting with the 2014 Hyundai Tucson. This involves the incorporation of the Radio Data System.
The RDS stands for a radio data system that works to allow FM broadcasters to transmit analog sound through the airwaves. This way, digital RDS data can be listened to by FM tuners that are equipped with RDS. This new technology comes to bring great features as well as benefits to its users.
This article explores the RDS feature on the 2014 Hyundai Tucson, explaining everything that you need to know about it.
What Is RDS on a 2014 Hyundai Tucson?
The RDS on the 2014 Hyundai Tucson is short for the radio data system. The system is designed solely to allow FM broadcasters to transmit analog sound signals through the airwaves.
It makes use of 557 kHz subcarrier signals to transmit the digital RDS data through FM tuners fitted with RDS. This new technology comes with a whole new set of benefits and features so listeners can indulge in the RDS reception capabilities.
The radio data system first made its debut in Europe and immediately became very profitable. Since then, it has become extremely popular, and made is embraced in different parts from the far-east to North America. The US has over 700 radio stations most of which are in major metropolitan markets that now broadcast RDS information.
What Are the Key Features of the RDS?
As earlier mentioned, the RDS comes with loads of features and benefits to its listeners. Some of these features include;
- It supports frequencies ranging between 64MHz and 108 millimeters (AF, AF EON)
- It comes with new character coding for UTF-8 (old EBU Charset fixed for compatibility mode with old group OA/2A)
- PS-Name length that can be up to 32 bytes, using the UTF-8 characters set
- Radio text, ERT, one 28 bits long using UTF-8.
- It offers a new approach to ODA, the ‘B’ group designated as a single group for ‘Á’ group.
- Its capacity was increased by 11.4 up to 14.7 ‘A’ groups in each second. (2, 109 bits/second. Net capacity using single-type multiple subcarrier modulation technologies)
- The radio text graphics can be used with HTML/CSS templates for phones, car radios, laptops, and computers.
- The system allows the return channel to be used over GRT when the receiver has SMS or IP capabilities.
- It comes with a hybrid radio feature that is partly based on French Development radio.
Fields of Information Included Within Records of RDS
There are some fields of information that you are likely to find on the records of RDS records.
Alternate Frequency, AF
Sometimes the receiver can tune itself to a new frequency, usually one that is similar to the initial one. This happens if the initial signal was too weak. This is usually the case for car audio systems.
Clock Time, CTC
RDS makes it possible to synchronize the clock in the clock receiver or that which is pre-installed in the car. Given the transmission issues, you can trust CTC to only be accurate to up to 100 milliseconds of UTC.
Program identification refers to a unique number that identifies a specific station. Each of the stations possesses a distinct code which includes the country’s code.
EON (Improved Another Network)
The EON allows the receiver to check for any programming activities from other networks or stations and then automatically tune into that station.
Traffic Message Channel, TMC
This refers to digitally encoded traffic data. Several RDS equipment is able to support this feature, but it is usually available for automobile navigation systems.
How Does RDS Radio Work?
The RDS allows sending of extremely massive audio signals between radio stations using different audio formats so as to steer stations in various other directions. The stations that are equipped with FM broadcasting equipment and fitted with RDS can send digital RDS to receive reception at 57kHz using the 56 MHz subcarriers.
The RDS system in the 2014 Hyundai Tucson revolutionizes its audio capability. It significantly contributes to enhancing your listening experience so you can get the most out of your ride. Moreover, this system has been upgraded from the traditional ones for increased convenience and efficiency.